All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
After 3.5 years being in the same course, soon it will be our turn to take the exam which will define our future paths. To revise whatever we had learned for the day, we will hang out after school at our favorite wooden bench under a shady tree constantly burying our heads into all sorts of reference books, making sure that we had left no stones unturned. The only official time we had allocated for rest is a 30mins meal break before I sent her home when the sun set behind the meadows. Once I was having dinner with her, unknowingly, I started to reminisce about how we first met and that consequently left me in a daze as I laid down my cutlery.

She is from Taiwan and had joined in our class halfway through the first year. Her dad had been posted to his company headquarters here and therefore her entire family moved here as well. Although she is 2 years older than us, she was made to repeat Year 1 as English was not the method of instruction for her previous studies. She was assigned to the empty seat next to me and was very quiet initially, maybe because she is new to the place and doesn’t have any friends. Gradually, she slowly opened up to the class, she somehow became my best friend after a few months. I always like to steal a glance at her sweet smile after she managed to solve a tricky math question. Sometimes she will catch me staring at her and needless to say I will also get an unpleasant earful for that.
She waved her hands in front of me to knock me out of my trance and asked, “What happened?” and I replied, “Nothing I am a bit tired so let’s finish our dinner and go home.” We promptly finished our food and set off to her house and reached the bend where we will part. Knowing that her English was still not up to mark, I spent a few nights preparing a set of notes for her and passed her the notes as a parting gift. She said, “Thanks!” gave me a peck on the cheek and disappeared around the corner.
I wanted to tell her, I wanted her to know that I don’t want to be just friends. I love her but I am just too shy, and I don’t know why.