Her ability to sing never fails to fascinate me with every tune she crooned, she has got the talent but lack the confidence from within to make it onto the bigger stage. I had tried to egg her on to enter the local singing competition for years but she will always react with a prompt refusal and her signature smile follows.
I never had the gift in singing, so I had tried to pick up the guitar and did manage a few tunes of her favourites after much drilling. Using that as an excuse, I dated her to the beach and had a practice session. As I played clumsily with the score, her voice was inch perfect nonetheless. As I played the last note there was some applause coming from behind us, taken by surprise, we turned our heads and saw a small crowd amassed along the pathway. Her face was blushing and starting to walk away with short hurried steps, while I quickly picked up all the stuff and escaped from the scene as well. After a distance from the beach, I stopped her and said, "SEE, I told you before that your singing is great but you refused to believe me, you should really join the competition." After reaching the train station, she turned to face me and this time she finally agreed without further persuasion.
We spent the next few weeks practising whenever we are able to meet up to prepare for the competition in the next quarter. The day of the auditions finally arrived, I accompanied her to the competition venue and as predicted she advanced through the auditions without much hiccups. Situation was pretty much the same for the semis later and she even reached the finals the following week.
D-day; she is totally not herself today, it seemed that her face had lost some glow. Thinking that it may be competition jitters, I did not give it much thought as I eagerly anticipate her performance on the first row. The music started to play after the Emcee announced her name, I noticed it was not the original song she had planned. I tried to signal to her about the possible mistake but she continued it anyway.
Tears was streaming down her face as she reached the chorus. The audience was about to give her a standing ovation and suddenly she collapsed on stage just before the ending.